Accessibility Tools

Dauphin Fire Department received a call shortly after 5 pm last night about a transformer box that was pouring out smoke at 375 Whitmore Avenue.

Manitoba Hydro was quickly notified and cut power to the box so fire services could then cool down the melted circuitry. 

Inspectors from Manitoba Hydro identified the damages but also realized that the unit was a specialty padmount transformer which is not commonly stocked in Dauphin.

Luckily, arrangements were swiftly made and a replacement was sent in from Brandon.

The early reporting of this incident prevented any further damage. Power was restored to the area around 1 am this morning.